Ankle sprains or ankle injuries are the most common injuries encountered by the population of every age group. Sometimes, these injuries can be recurrent or repetitive, leading to long-term or life-long ankle weakness and joint pain.
For the treatment and wellness of ankle disorders, physical therapy, or rehabilitation exercises are vital. Physical therapy at Somerset Family Physical Therapy in Somerset, NJ, is highly affordable.
You can start physical therapy by following a specific protocol of exercises which is as follows:
- ROM (range of motion) exercises – ROMs are the simple movements of muscles and joints. These exercises can be performed right after the ankle injury. After performing ROM exercises, don’t forget to ice the ankle to reduce the inflammation due to sprain or injury.
- Sit on a chair and move the knees gently from one side to the other side while you keep your feet pressed at the ground. Continue the same maneuver for at least 2 to 3 minutes in one set.
- Stretching exercises – after the pain of ankle joint reduces, try to perform gentle stretching exercises and gradually increase its intensity. Achilles tendon is a tendon present at the end of calf muscles, which connects them to the heel bone.
If you need to stretch the calf muscles, then follow the following exercise:
- Keep your leg straight in front of you
- Place a towel (rolled) under your feet
- Pull the towel towards your body, gently
- Repeat it for 8 to 10 times
- In case of intense pain, stop the exercise
In another exercise, follow these steps:
- Stand against the wall while facing it and place your hands on the wall.
- Put the affected leg beyond (about a step) your sound leg.
- By keeping the back of the heel on the ground, bend the knee on the front until some stretch is felt in the lagging leg.
- Now hold this position for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat it for 8 to 10 times.
- If pain starts to appear while performing this exercise, then stop it.
- Balance and strengthening exercises – these exercises are used for strengthening the weakened muscles and thus improving the balance of the body.
- Resisted dorsiflexion and plantar flexion exercises
- Push the foot away from your body with the help of a band or rubber belt and resist the movement in the opposite direction.
- Knot the belt with some firm handle and surround it over your foot. Now pull your foot towards your body and apply resistance in the opposite direction.
- Try to stand straight on the firm surface or ground with eyes close to challenge the balance.
Best physical therapy at Somerset Family Physical Therapy in Somerset, NJ for an ankle injury
Somerset Family Physical Therapy in Somerset, NJ, is the best physical therapy clinic for treating various types of sports injuries such as ankle injury. Physical therapists in Somerset, NJ, have professional experience in dealing with multiple sports injuries. They are professionally trained to treat sports injuries.